When the rhubarb is fresh make these custard bars. They are delish and really easy to make! Enjoy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13×9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350⁰ F for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350⁰ until custard is set, 40-45 minutes. Cool.
- For the topping, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together until smooth; fold in the whipped cream. Spread over the top of custard. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
- If you prefer a tarter taste, bump up the amount of rhubarb to 6 or 6 ½ cups and lower the amount of sugar to 1 ½ cups.
- For a twist, add the seeds from one vanilla bean or 1 tsp. of rosewater to the filling. Both flavors pair beautifully with rhubarb!