Big John and I love the fall and winter vegetables. This recipe for Butternut Squash with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon turned out delicious. You will not be disappointed! Enjoy!!
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces rigatoni
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices Circle B Ranch Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 scallions, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan and/or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Tear off and reserve the outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts, then chop the rest. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs, adding the chopped Brussels sprouts and their leaves during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Reserve 1 ½ cups cooking water and then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in the skillet.
- Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to the skillet, then add the squash, garlic, and ½ tsp. of salt. Cook until the squash is lightly golden around the edges, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the reserved cooking water; cover and simmer until the squash is tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the pasta, Brussels sprouts, bacon, scallions, the remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil and ¼ cup cooking water to the skillet; toss until coated, adding the remaining cooking water as needed to loosen. Season with salt and pepper. Top each serving with the parmesan.
- Serving Size: 4