I absolutely love eggplant. What could be better during the Lenten season (or any season, really) than Rigatoni with Eggplant and Tomato Sauce? To make it even better, this recipe is based on one by Gabriele Corcos and Debi Mazur, one of my favorite chef couples. I know I am infatuated with many chefs! This recipe would be great when eggplant is in season or fresh from the garden.
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 small red onion diced small
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2–24 oz jars of Marina’s Italian Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of salt (I did not use this much) I would say flavor to taste.
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium eggplant sliced into thin rounds (with skins on)
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 pound of Rigatoni
- Fresh basil leaves
- Parmigiano Reggiano for serving
- Preheat a gas grill. Slice the eggplant into rounds and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and place on the hot grill.
- Grill the eggplant on both sides and cook until done. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the oil to a heavy bottomed pan and heat up. Add the red onion and saute until soft. Don’t let them brown. Add the red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant.
- Add the 2 jars of Marina’s Tomato Sauce and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Slice the Eggplant into smaller bite size pieces and add to the sauce with the bay leaves.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the rigatoni. Once the rigatoni is cooked, add to the sauce. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Serve with basil and grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.