Eggplant, Mozzarella and Topped with Marina’s Tomato Sauce is so good. This vegetarian dish is delicious. Enjoy!
- 12 slices of eggplant approximately 1/2 inch thick (about 1 large eggplant)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cut into 12 slices
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup fresh basil cut chiffonade
- more olive oil, parmesan cheese, freshly cracked pepper
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Arrange the eggplant slices on a rimmed baking sheet and coat front and back with all 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
Roast the eggplant slices at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, and turn over and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Put some tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking dish and arrange four of the eggplant on the dish. Place a slice of Mozzarella followed by a slice of eggplant a piece of fresh basil than one more mozzarella and finally a slice of eggplant. Omit the basil on the last layer.
- Top the eggplant stacks with Marina’s tomato sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
After removing from oven, add remaining basil on top of each stack (this is added after baking so it doesn’t dry up or burn)