Big John and I love haricot vert aka string beans. Mix them with red bell pepper, garlic and ginger and you have a delicious vegetable. Enjoy!
- 1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced ginger root
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 lb. thin French-style green beans, ends trimmed and cut in half
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
- Mince 4-5 large garlic cloves, enough to make a heaping tablespoon of minced garlic.
- Peel ginger root and finely mince enough ginger to make a heaping tablespoon of minced ginger.
- Cut red bell peppers into fourths lengthwise, then remove seeds and trim any white pithy parts. Cut off rounded top and bottom parts to make it easier to cut even strips, then cut each piece of pepper into thin crosswise strips. Make the red pepper strips just slightly wider than the beans.
- Trim ends of green beans and cut them in half. (To trim beans easily, loosely grab a handful and stand them up on the cutting board to line up the ends, trim, and then repeat with the other end.)
- Put the green beans and red pepper strips into a medium-sized bowl and then toss with the olive oil, minced garlic, and minced ginger.
- Spread the vegetables out on a large baking sheet, arranging it so vegetables are in a single layer as much as you can.
- Roast 20-22 minutes, or until a few beans are starting to look browned and the veggies are tender-crisp.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve hot.