You can either roast or grill this recipe. I went with roasting since it was so hot out the day I prepared it. I also used boccacino for the mozzarella. This recipe came out delicious and I can tell you my family was soaking up the vinaigrette with the bread. Enjoy!
To Roast in Oven
- • 4 1-inch slices of thick sliced bread
- • 2 large red bell peppers halved & seeds removed
- • 1 medium red onion, peeled & cut into ½-inch wedges
- • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- • Kosher salt
- • Freshly ground black pepper
- • 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- • 1 garlic clove, minced
- • 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or more according to taste)
- • 1 Tbsp. capers, drained (rinsed if salted)
- • 8 oz. Mozzarella
- • Chiffonade of basil
To Prepare Vegetables
- Place pepper halves and onion wedges in a large bowl and drizzle with 3 Tbsp. olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt and several grinds of pepper (about ¼ tsp.). Use your hands to toss everything together until oil coats everything.
- Roast vegetables in the oven at 450° F. Roasting time will vary according to oven, so roast for 20 minutes. Check vegetables and roast for up to an additional 20 minutes if necessary. Make sure to turn vegetables to get an even color. Put the bread slices under the broiler, making sure to turn and cook each side for a few minutes. Cool and tear into bite-sized pieces.
To Marinate Peppers
- Place cooked peppers in a bowl and cover with foil or a lid to trap heat. Once they are cool enough to handle, remove as much skin as you can. Cut peppers into ½ to 1-inch wide strips.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil, about ¼ tsp. salt, and garlic. Add capers. Add peppers to bowl and let them marinate for as little as 5 minutes or as long as 1 day. The longer they marinate, the more pickled they will taste.
To Assemble & Serve
- Shortly before you are ready to eat the salad, add onions to the bowl with the peppers.
- Add in the torn bread pieces and the Mozzarella.
- Mix gently, making sure the dressing coats the bread.
- Taste and add more seasoning if desired.
- Serve in big heaps, topping with basil (optional). Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4