Sweet potatoes and arborio rice come together beautifully in this recipe. Add the bacon, and it’s really delicious! Enjoy!
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 1 1/3 cups dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. brown butter
- 4 slices Circle B Ranch Hickory Smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh herbs: sage, parsley, rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a bowl, combine chopped sweet potatoes with 2 Tbsp. olive oil, salt, pepper, nutmeg and smoked paprika, tossing well to coat. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, tossing every 8-10 minutes. Remove and mash until pureed (or use blender or food processor), then set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add chicken or vegetable stock. Heat until hot. If it begins to boil, turn down so it is no longer boiling.
- Heat a larger saucepan or a dutch oven over medium heat. Add in remaining olive oil and butter (not the brown butter), then add shallots with a pinch of salt. Stir to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft, then add in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Increase heat slightly and add rice, stirring to coat. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring 2-3 times until the rice is translucent and begins to toast.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in wine. Continue to stir as the rice absorbs the wine. When most of it is absorbed, add in about 1/3 cup of the warm chicken/vegetable stock. Repeat the process, continuously stirring until the stock is absorbed, then add another 1/3. Repeat until all of the stock is used and absorbed and the rice is cooked; make sure to taste test. The whole process should take about 20-25 minutes. If the rice is still too chewy or dense, heat a bit more liquid and add it again, stirring.
- Once the rice is cooked to your preference, reduce heat to low and stir in about ¾ cup of sweet potato puree. Stir in so it is well-absorbed. Stir in Parmesan cheese and brown butter, mixing to combine. Taste and add additional seasoning if desired.
- To serve, place risotto in bowl; top with additional cheese, sprinkle with herbs, and cover with crumbled bacon. Serve immediately!
- Serving Size: 4