The Farmers Market is full of Fall and Winter squash and of course apples. What could be better than combining delicious Circle B Ranch German Sausage and fresh picked apples??
- 3 Acorn Squash, halved
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. Circle B Ranch German-style sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 apples, diced
- ½ teaspoon sage
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off each end of the Acorn Squash while removing as little as possible, then cut in half.
- Spoon out the seeds.
- Brush olive oil inside and on top of Acorn Squash.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over squash to taste.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes, depending on the size of the squash, until tender and you can pierce it with a fork, but the squash still holds its shape.
- While the squash us still baking, begin sauteing the onions and celery. Cook for 2-3 minutes, add German-style sausage, and cook until sausage is done.
- Add apples and saute for another 2-3 minutes, or until the apples are softened.
- Stir in sage and bread crumbs.
- Add ¾ cup of Parmesan cheese and stir until cheese begins to melt. Set aside.
- Once the squash has finished baking and reached desired tenderness, spoon in meat mixture until the squash is filled.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the squash.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining Parmesan cheese.