Those damp chilly days and nights are ahead of us. There is nothing better than a bowl of soup. Enjoy!
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 8 oz. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups homemade or lower-salt chicken broth
- 1 24 oz bottle of Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- 1 10- to 12-oz. package fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- 5 to 6 oz. baby spinach (about 6 lightly packed cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano, for serving
- Heat the oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking the sausage into small pieces, until the sausage is cooked through and starting to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and tomato sauce, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add the tortellini, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook according to package directions until the pasta is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach, and cook just until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with the cheese and crusty bread, if you like.