Moist and flavorful slow cooked apple juice pulled pork shoulder. I prefer to slow cook our pork shoulder over smoking it. What is great about this shoulder that you can re-purpose the left overs into Pulled Pork Ragu! You will find that recipe at the end of the recipe. Big John’s Barbecue Sauce is delicious with the pork.
- Circle B Ranch 4-5lb pork shoulder, bone-in
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 1/2C apple juice
With leftovers for Pulled Pork Ragu
- Leftover pulled pork
- 1 Onion diced small
- 2–3 cloves of fresh garlic diced
- 2 Tbls of Olive oil
- 1–2 Jars of Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- Few basil leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 lb. of rigatoni
- Grated Romano cheese
- Add the sliced onions to the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker bowl. Place the pork shoulder on top of the onions. Sprinkle with seasonings and garlic. Pour apple juice over the pork shoulder and seasonings. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-10 hours. Pork is ready when the meat falls off the bone. Carefully remove pork from the slow cooker. Shred by hand using forks.
- If desired, return shredded pork to slow cooker to absorb the juices.
- Alternately, shredded pork may be served in your favorite sandwich roll with Big John’s Barbecue sauce.
Pulled Pork Ragu
- In a heavy bottom pan heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes. Add the tomato sauce and cook together for about 15 minutes. After heating the sauce add the pulled pork and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Rigatoni and freshly grated romano cheese.