If you like a really hardy ragu you will love this recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 lbs. beef chuck, cut into 4 large chunks
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (24 ounce) Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- 10 ounces pappardelle, cooked al dente according to package directions
- chopped parsley, for serving
- shaved Parmigiano Reggiano, for serving
- Turn slow cooker on high heat to warm.
- Season beef on all sides with salt and pepper. In a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the beef and brown on all sides for about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove to slow cooker.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, an bay leaf to the pot. Stir until onions are translucent and vegetables are soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in tomato paste. Toast with the vegetables. Stir in red wine to deglaze the pan and stir up any browned bits on the bottom. Cook until wine is reduced, the pan is almost dry, and no longer has the sharp smell of alcohol. Stir in the tomato sauce and let come to a light simmer.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the beef in the slow cooker. Cover with a lid, and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Shred the beef in the slow cooker with 2 forks, and mix all together to combine.
- Toss pasta with about 2 cups of sauce. Serve pasta in bowls with more ragu spooned over the top. Sprinkle with parsley and shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Serving Size: 6