There were a couple of weeks this past winter that were really cold and damp. It was the type of weather that called for soup. I had always wanted to try a bean soup and I thought that this was a good recipe.
- 8 slices Circle B Ranch Hickory Smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled (I just throw mine in the oven at 375 on a baking sheet for 20–25 minutes until crispy)
- 3 (15 oz) cans of Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Bag of Baby Spinach
- 3 cups Homemade Chicken Stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients except the salt and pepper in your slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- If you have an immersion blender: just stick it into the cooked soup and blend about 1/3-1/2 of the mixture so that when you stir together it’s chunky but also thicker and no longer brothy.
- If you are using a regular blender: Transfer 3 cups of the soup mixture into your blender and blend until thick and combined. Pour it back into the pot and stir until well combined
- Taste when finished and add salt and pepper as desired.