Pork Pot Stickers…what can I say? They have to be one of my favorite appetizers in a Chinese Restaurant. Who can resist that salty and sweet savory filling? Not me. One night Big John said we should have Pot Stickers, so here is my take on the recipe.
- 1 lb. Circle B Ranch ground pork
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped water chestnuts
- 4 cups Napa cabbage, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 30 4 1/2″ round wonton wrappers
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup water
Pot Sticker Dipping Sauce
- 1 Cup Soy Sauce
- 3/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 4 tbls. dark brown sugar
- 2 medium scallions, minced
- 4 tsps minced garlic cloves
- 2 tbls. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsps hot red pepper flakes
- Combine all filling ingredients in a large nonreactive bowl and mix by hand, aggressively slamming the mixture against the side of the bowl until thoroughly combined and very sticky.
- Working one wrapper at a time, put a tablespoon of filling in the center of the wrapper. Brush water on one side of the circle. Holding the dumpling between the thumb and forefinger of our left hand use your dominant hand to pleat and seal the edges of the dumpling. Stand sealed dumpling on a flat surface (I used a cookie sheet covered with wax paper) gently pressing to flatten their bottom, and cover with a damp paper towel.
- When all the dumplings have been filled and sealed, heat the vegetable oil in a flat bottomed, lidded skillet until hot not smoking. Arrange half the dumplings flat-side down in the hot oil and cook uncovered for 3 minutes. Add the water, cover tightly with the lid, and reduce heat to medium. Cook 8-10 minutes, until the water has evaporated and the dumplings are crispy on the bottom. Shake pan to loosen dumplings; turn out onto a plate and repeat. Serve with Pot Sticker dipping sauce. Recipe to follow.
Pot Sticker Dipping Sauce
- In a saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil to medium high heat. Add scallion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Lower heat to medium and continue stirring about 3-5 minutes or until garlic starts browning.
- Increase heat to high and stir in Soy Sauce. Vinegar and water and bring to boil.
- Add dark brown sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Lower heat to low and cook for 1o minutes, stirring often
- Makes about 3 cups (Sauce can be refrigerated in air tight container for several days).