A delicious fall cake recipe perfect for a fall brunch or breakfast. Light and moist and flavored with the perfect amount of spice and tender baked pears.
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) of melted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (135 g) brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) of water
- 1 1/2 (7.5 ml) tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 (210 g) cup flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (3.75 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp (large pinch) ground cloves
- 2 ripe pears, any variety
- 1 Tbsp (5 g) old fashioned oats
- dust with powdered sugar
- Preheat over to 350 F (175C) and spray a 9 x 5 (23 cm x 13 cm) loaf pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the butter, oil, brown sugar, eggs, water and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Whisk until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, whisking in thirds until combined.
- Transfer batter to the loaf pan. Top with the sliced pears standing upright in alternating pattern. Sprinkle with oats.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and risen and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and remove cake from the tin and slice!
This cake is also great served as a dessert with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce drizzled on top!
Or make some homemade whipped cream and add a dash of brandy to it (recipe below)
For Homemade Whipped Cream:
2 cups of heavy cream
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 Tbsp of Brandy
Place all ingredients in a bowl and whip on high until soft peaks form. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.