A sign of spring is Asparagus growing in the garden. The hens are laying a bountiful amount of eggs. When I saw this recipe I knew that it would be delicious made with Circle B Ranch Hickory Smoked Bacon.
- 6 slices Circle B Ranch Hickory Smoked bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (you can use fresh peas if available)
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 4 ounces asparagus, sliced diagonally 1/8-inch thick (1 cup)
- 10 fresh basil leaves, sliced thin
- 5 eggs, whisked, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish (2 ounces)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add the bacon, cooking for about 5 minutes, until crispy. Transfer the cooked bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel and set aside. Return the pan with the rendered fat to the stove top for future use.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the peas into the water and cook them for 5 minutes. Transfer them to a strainer with a slotted spoon or a spider basket. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes, or until al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the bacon fat in the sauté pan over medium heat. Add the peas and asparagus, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the basil, and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk. Have the egg mixture, vegetables and bacon ready to toss with very hot pasta.
- Quickly drain the pasta and transfer immediately to a large serving bowl. Pour the eggs and cheese on top of the pasta, and toss vigorously to coat the strands and gently cook the eggs, forming a creamy sauce. Add the vegetables and bacon, and continue tossing to incorporate them. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Portion the spaghetti on plates and ladle any sauce left in the bowl over each serving. Grate additional cheese on top if you like.
- Serving Size: 4