This is a rather interesting take on lasagna. We enjoyed it and I am sure your family will enjoy this also. Enjoy!
- • 1 medium spaghetti squash
- • 1 medium zucchini, sliced into thin rounds
- • 2 cups Marina’s Italian Style Tomato Sauce, warmed
- • 1 ½ cups ricotta
- • 1 egg
- • ½ cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- • ¼ cup Mozzarella Cheese, reserved for end
- • ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- • 1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
- • 1 tsp. salt
- • 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- • 5-6 basil leaves, torn
- Cut open squash and remove seeds, place on sheet pan and bake until soft. I would say you will need about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Using a fork, shred the squash’s innards to resemble spaghetti noodles.
- Transfer spaghetti squash to a strainer and press with paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set rack in middle of oven.
- In a bowl, mix the ricotta, egg, 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella, Parmesan, parsley, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Combine well.
- In a 5-quart oval baking dish with 2-inch high sides, ladle 1/2 cup of Marina’s Italian Style Tomato Sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Place half of the squash over top.
- Place the zucchini rounds over top of the squash, slightly overlapping them.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper over the top.
- Spread out the ricotta mixture over the top and level out.
- Add the torn basil leaves over the top.
- Ladle 3/4-1 cup of Marina’s Tomato Sauce over the basil, depending on how saucy you like your dish.
- Add the remaining spaghetti squash over the top.
- Place the baking dish on a rimmed baking pan.
- Spray a large piece of foil and place the sprayed side facing down toward squash.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and place the remaining 1/2 cup of Mozzarella on top.
- Bake uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.