In the Spring the Farmers Markets are full of delicious juicy Strawberries. I love this recipe it has strawberries and cream cheese in the cake. Enjoy!
For the Cake
- • 13 oz. (about 2 ½ cups strawberries that are washed, drained and chopped)
- • 8 oz. (1 cup) butter, softened
- • 10 ½ oz. (2 1/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- • 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- • 1 ¾ cups sugar
- • Zest of one lemon
- • 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- • 4 large eggs, plus one large egg yolk, room temperature
- • 1 tsp. strawberry extract
For the Glaze
- • 4 oz. (1 cup) confectioners’ sugar
- • 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, more as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 12-cup Bundt pan by greasing it with butter or shortening and flour.
- Prepare strawberries, making sure they are as dry as possible (to eliminate excess moisture in the cake). Set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl.
- With a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, or a hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and beat on medium until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. With the mixer still running, add the whole eggs one at a time and then add the egg yolk, followed by the lemon zest and strawberry extract. Stop to scrape down the bowl. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture. Scrape down the bowl and beat until batter is smooth. Don’t over mix. With a rubber spatula, gently fold the strawberries into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, spreading it evenly with the spatula. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Set the pan on a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes before inverting cake onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice together until smooth. The glaze should be thin enough to pour. If not, add more lemon juice in small increments. Drizzle the glaze over the top and sides of the cake. Top with lemon zest if you like.
- Make sure to use room temperature strawberries. Cold fruit will prevent the cake from baking evenly.