Walking through the Farmers Market Rhubarb and Strawberries are in season and what could be better than making a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp. Serve it with Vanilla Ice Cream. Enjoy!
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, 1-inch diced (4 to 5 stalks)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved, if large
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking (not instant) oatmeal
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) cold, unsalted butter, diced
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- For the fruit, toss the rhubarb, strawberries, ½ cup of the granulated sugar and the orange zest together in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice and then mix it into the fruit. Pour the mixture into an 8 x 11-inch baking dish and place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- For the topping, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the flour, the remaining ½ cup of granulated sugar, the brown sugar, salt, and oatmeal. With the mixer on low speed, add the butter and mix until the dry ingredients are moist and the mixture is in crumbles.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit, covering it completely, and bake for 1 hour, until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
- This is my adaptation of the recipe. For those of you who absolutely love rhubarb, the original recipe actually calls for 4 cups of rhubarb and 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar. By using less rhubarb in mine, I was able to eliminate a little sugar and still get the perfect, mouthwatering sweetness I expect from a strawberry rhubarb dish.
- Serving Size: 6