When the strawberries and ripe and the rhubarb is in season what a better way to use them but in a crisp. Enjoy!
For the Topping
- • 1 1/3 cups flour
- • 1 tsp. baking powder
- • 3 Tbsp. sugar
- • 3 Tbsp. Demerara sugar (or Turbinado sugar)
- • Zest from one lemon
- • ¼ lb. (1 stick or 4 oz.) unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling
- • 1 ½ cups rhubarb, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- • 1 quart strawberries plus a few extra, hulled & quartered
- • Juice from one lemon
- • ½ cup sugar
- • 3 to 4 Tbsp. cornstarch
- • Pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 375°F. Prepare topping: In a mixing bowl,combine flour, baking powder, sugars and lemon zest and add the melted butter. Mix until small and large clumps form. Refrigerate until needed.
- Prepare filling: Toss rhubarb, strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch and a pinch of salt in a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Remove the topping from the refrigerator and cover fruit thickly and evenly with the topping. Place the pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet, and bake until crumble topping is golden brown in places and fruit is bubbling beneath, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!