You really know summer is here when you start seeing enormous zucchini at the Farmers Market. Many of you may have gone out to your garden one day to check your veggies, and by the next morning your zucchini is huge! You then ask yourself what to do with this huge vegetable. I have a few ways I like to use them. Zucchini Parmesan, Zucchini Pie and of course Stuffed Zucchini with Hot and Sweet Sausage! It is easy to prepare, and this recipe makes a lot the leftovers which freeze very well.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. If the zucchini is really long cut them in half width wise. Put a few tablespoons of Marina’s Tomato Sauce into the bottom of the pan. Place the zucchini on top of the sauce.
- Using a spoon, hollow out the zucchini. Chop the zucchini pulp into pieces. You will not use all of this in the recipe.
- Dice the onion and the garlic. In a large skillet add the olive oil and heat it up. Add the onion and the garlic. Cook the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Take the sausage out of its casing. Add the sausage to the pan and cook until done.
- Add the zucchini and cook until the pulp is cooked. You will find that it very watery. You can cook it down for a few minutes, but I recommend scooping out the pulp, onions, sausage and garlic and putting it all into a bowl.
- To the zucchini pulp, sausage, onions and garlic add the panko breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, romano cheese, eggs and tomato sauce and stir well. The stuffing should be sticky. Place the stuffing into the hollowed out zucchini. Top the mixture with Tomato Sauce and sprinkle with Romano cheese.
- Cook in a 375 degree oven for about an hour or until done. You want to make sure the zucchini is fork tender.