Big John has been requesting Stromboli for many years. I finally broke down and made it for him. This recipe is really easy and delicious!
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1lb Circle B Ranch Sweet Italian sausage (removed from its casing)
- 8 oz of Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 [13.4 oz] refrigerated pizza crust [such as Pillsbury Classic] or 1lb homemade pizza dough (I made pizza dough)
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp grated Romano cheese
- In a medium fry pan, saute the onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil for 3 minutes until soft. Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the Sweet Italian sausage and cook until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan and remove from the heat to cool. Drain well and refrigerate if making in advance.
- To assemble: Preheat the oven to 425°F. On a silpat or parchment paper, stretch the dough into roughly a 10 x 13 inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle with half of the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange the cooked sausage on top, then drizzle with the tomato sauce.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese, and begin to roll starting from the widest edge. Arrange seem side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- For the topping: Brush the top and sides with melted butter, then sprinkle the garlic powder on top. Finish with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Bake for 18 minutes then allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting into 1 inch slices.
- Serve with additional tomato sauce for dipping, if desired.