With my on going series on braising, I love this recipe from The Kitchen Whisperer. She has a great recipe that definitely pulled me in, and I knew that I had to prepare it. The Kitchen Whisperer prepared it with with boneless ribs, but I made it with traditional bone in beef short ribs.
Most Mondays I stay home to catch up on paper work (do you really ever catch up?), return e-mails, make phone calls and plan the week. While I am was doing this I was trolling for recipes on Facebook. Then I found this recipe! I used Big John’s BBQ, which is a sweet but slightly spicy BBQ sauce, and I substituted Big Johns BBQ Sauce for the Bacon BBQ Sauce in the original recipe. I can’t help but tweaking recipes!
- 5–6 lbs of Bone in Beef Short Ribs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup Big John’s BBQ Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 300 F with the rack in the middle of the oven.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add the ketchup, brown sugar, minced onion, garlic powder and Big John’s BBQ Sauce and mix until combined. Cook until thick and bubbly, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes. Watch the sauce it will sputter.
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Place in a baking dish and pour about 1/2 cup or more of the BBQ Sauce over the short ribs.
- Flip the ribs over and spoon another 1/2 cup or more of the sauce over the ribs. Reserve the remaining BBQ sauce to spoon over the cooked ribs.
- Cover the pan with foil and roast for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I turned up the oven to 325 degrees after 2 1/2 hours, uncovered the ribs and cooked for about another 1 hour or until fork tender.
- When the ribs are done take out of the pan and spoon the BBQ sauce over them. Serve with smashed potatoes.
- These were truly delicious and I can tell you the BBQ sauce really made the difference. Enjoy!