The year seems to be flying by. We’re well into Spring and edging toward Summer. Farmers’ markets are teeming with fresh produce and bustling with consumers. Now is the perfect time to stop by and pick up a fresh veggie or fruit to complete a healthy dinner for your family. Buying from a farmers’ market supplies you with more benefits than you realize. Fresh produce, grown without all the extra additives and chemicals, provides a wide variety of nutrients and a purer taste that you just can’t get from the grocery aisle. And when you buy from a farmers’ market you know you are purchasing the produce at the height of its season. That’s as fresh as it gets. For example, Asparagus is in season right now. If you were to swing by the farmers’ market, you could treat yourself to an assortment of this super-vegetable. Edible varieties include the usual green asparagus that everyone finds familiar, a white asparagus that has a very delicate flavor, and even a purple asparagus that is smaller with a fruity type flavor. Whichever type you prefer, one thing is for sure; asparagus is one of Spring’s finest super-foods. Let’s take a look at the veggie’s amazing benefits! Asparagus is rich in a variety of vitamins and nutrients:Read More
- Fiber improves digestive health and aids with weight loss.
- Folate strengthens brain function, especially when paired with B12, and positively enhances your mood.
- Asparagus boosts your immune system with a high Vitamin C content.
- Vitamin E helps strengthen your immune system.
- To assist with blood coagulation and bone health and contribute to the body's absorption of calcium, asparagus contains a decent amount of Vitamin K.
- Glutathione breaks down carcinogens & free radicals.
- Iron works to avoid anemia.
- Folic acid, a necessary dietary supplement for pregnant women, helps prevent premature births and birth defects.
- Vitamin A