Holidays are often difficult times for many people, but for those in recovery, holidays can
The Story Behind Marina’s Cranberry Chutney
Every sauce I make has a story…and the story behind Marina’s Cranberry Chutney goes way back to my catering days in New Jersey. When I catered Gourmet magazine was all the rage. It was the go-to magazine for culinary excellence. One issue was on Indian Chutneys and the Cranberry Chutney was the one that sounded so great. Thanksgiving was coming up and I wanted to give my customers a homemade Cranberry Sauce so my Chef and I thought why not a Cranberry Chutney. It became one of my best selling items for charcuterie platters and of course as a side for Turkey or Ham! So Yummy!
If you know anything about Chutney it can be very spicey and the original recipe was very spicey. So Barbara and I went into the kitchen and experimented on a Cranberry Chutney that would palatable for my customers. After a couple of tries of tweaking the spices and heat, we came up with a delicious recipe.
When I moved to Missouri I tried to find a job but to no avail. We were raising our hogs for market Big John said: “why not make your Tomato Sauce, Barbecue Sauce and Cranberry Chutney to sell?” What a great idea!! So I dug out my handwritten recipe for Cranberry Chutney and adapted it to large batches. I took the Safe Handling course and looked into renting space in a Commercial Kitchen, got my labels approved by the FDA and I was up and running. Looking back it was a great idea.
So fast forward to 2020. Many kettles later Cranberry Chutney is still going strong and it is so delicious.
Here are a few reasons to eat Cranberries….not just because they are good for you…but they are so versatile and delicious!!
- Eating whole cranberries has shown to offer greater health and dietary benefit then consuming them in a liquid or dietary supplement; that is due to they are broken down and only the extract is used. Cranberries are most beneficial when the entire berry is consumed not just one component because when whole they offer more cardiovascular, antioxidant, anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Cranberries have Vitamin C and fiber.
- Cranberries are Gluten Free!
- They have more antioxidants than spinach, strawberries, cherries, red grapes, broccoli, apples, raspberries. One of the only berries that outranks cranberries are blueberries!
Over the years I have used Marina’s Cranberry Chutney in so many recipes. Here are a few of my favorite:
- One of my favorite ways to use the chutney is with Terrill Creek Goat cheese on a Baguette topped with the Cranberry Chutney
- One night I started to pull ingredients out of the refrigerator and came up with this recipe. https://www.circlebranchpork.com/marinas-pork-marinade-marinas-cranberry-chutney.html
- At Christmas, this came together for a delicious ham. https://www.circlebranchpork.com/cranberry-orange-baked-ham.html
- All I can say is decadent…..https://www.circlebranchpork.com/marinas-cranberry-chutney-brownies.html
To order your Marina’s Cranberry Chutney, visit our website and look under products!