When Strawberries are in season at the Farmers Market you need to make this delicious Pound cake with Strawberry Rhubarb Compote.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups sugar, plus more to taste
- 1 1/3 cups almond flour
- 1 ¼ cups cake flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated tangerine zest
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 pounds of strawberries, hulled
- 4 cups trimmed, sliced rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a loaf pan. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Set aside to cool.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat eggs and 1 cup sugar until thick and pale, about 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, sift together almond flour cake flour, and zest. Fold 1/3 of the flour mixture into eggs until thoroughly combined. Fold in rest of flour in two batches. Fold in all but 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Scrape batter into pan, and sprinkle almonds on top. Brush remaining butter over almonds.
- Bake the cake until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. If the top of the cake seems to be getting overly browned before the center is set, cover with foil and continue baking. Let cool on a rack before inverting.
- Meanwhile, make the compote. In a medium saucepan, combine 12 ounces of the strawberries, the rhubarb, ¾ cup sugar and ¼ cup water. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until fruit breaks down into a puree. Let mixture cool, then taste and add more sugar if desired.
- Just before serving, place remaining strawberries in a large skillet, and sprinkle with sugar to taste. Cook strawberries over high heat until they release their juices and sugar dissolves. Serve slices of the pound-cake surrounded by strawberry-rhubarb compote and topped with strawberries.
- Serving Size: 8