I was a caterer in New Jersey for 11 years. Today, I still make many of the recipes that I developed during that time. You may think that cooking for 100 people would be different than cooking for 5 people, but the only difference is the amount of the ingredients that go into making the dishes.
Our busiest time in catering was always Spring to the end of the year. The first three months, I ran around New Jersey and New York booking parties, weddings and Bar and Bat Mitzvahs. One of my favorite catering recipes is this Tortellini Pasta Salad with Lemon Roman cheese dressing. It is great for a brunch, lunch, or any time you are want a light pasta salad.
- 1 lb. Cheese Tortellini
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1/2 head of broccoli
- 1/2 cup of sliced black olives
- Fresh Basil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 lemon
- Olive Oil
- 2–3 tablespoons Romano Cheese
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook the tortellini for a few minutes. The ones I used only required a few minutes of cooking. Drain and put in a bowl. I sprinkled a little oil over them so they would not stick together while they cooled.
- Dice the red pepper (I used 1/2 a pepper, but you may want more) and cut the broccoli into small pieces. Add the red pepper, broccoli and the black olives to the tortellini. Chiffonade the basil and add to the Pasta Salad.
- Put the juice of one lemon into a small bowl and whisk in the olive oil (About 6 tablespoons). Add salt and pepper and add the Romano Cheese to the Lemon dressing.
- Pour the Lemon Vinaigrette over the tortellini and vegetable, toss and enjoy. This pasta salad is best made the day before you want to serve it.