Winter months call for soup, and lots of different flavors at that! My family likes to try all types of soup and when I saw this recipe from the Noble Pig I knew that I had to try it. And of course, I did my usual tweaking and made it my own!
- 1 lb. of Circle B Ranch Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 1/2 cups of Chopped Onion
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1–24 oz jar of Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- 1– 5 oz can of Tomato Paste
- Fresh basil leaves (you can use dry to taste)
- Fresh Oregano (you can use dry to taste)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried red chili peppers
- 1 tsp of coarse ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 10 oz cheese tortellini
- 3 oz fresh baby spinach leaves
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Put the pound of sausage into the skillet and break up with a wooden spoon. Brown all sides and completely cook them through.
- Remove the sausage onto a plate.
- Saute onions in the fat leftover from the pork (if you are using Circle B Bacon you may need to add olive oil) until soft; about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds more.
- Meanwhile, add chicken stock, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, basil, sugar, chili peppers, pepper and salt to a large, heavy bottomed soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Add onion-garlic mixture and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Add tortellini and cook according to package directions, usually about 7-9 minutes. Add in cooked sausage and stir in spinach until just wilted.
- Serve with crusty Italian Bread and Grated Romano Cheese. Enjoy!