In the summer there is always a bumper crop of zucchini, nectarines and corn. What could be better than to put them all together in a delicious zucchini pancake topped with ricotta and nectarine and corn salsa? My family licked the plate and asked me to make this again soon!
- 3 small to medium zucchini, grated
- ½ lemon
- 1 large shallot (or 2 small ones)
- 2 ripe nectarine, finely diced
- 1 large ear white corn, boiled and cooled
- 1 small bunch chervil (10–15 leaves)
- 1 small carrot, finely grated
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh ricotta cheese
- Grate zucchini with the large holes of a grater. Lightly season and set over a double layer of paper towels lined in a colander. The zucchini will start to ‘sweat’, so set aside to drain for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your peach and corn salsa. Boil one ear of corn, cool, and pat dry.
- Finely mince ½ of a large shallot and combine in a medium bowl with lemon juice and 1 tsp. salt. Finely dice peach and cut kernels off one ear of corn. Add into bowl and incorporate thoroughly. Coarsely chop chervil and mix in. Cover and set in refrigerator to cool.
- One handful at a time, squeeze excess liquid from zucchini and transfer to a large bowl. Finely grate a carrot, mince the other half of the shallot, and mix with zucchini.
- Add flour, baking powder, eggs, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When the oil starts to let off a bit of smoke, turn heat down to medium. Carefully drop zucchini patties into the pan, 4-5 at a time so as to not overcrowd the pan.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, depending on how hot your oil (and how crispy/burnt you like your patties!).
- Transfer cooked patties to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain/cool.
- On each plate, spoon a hefty dollop of fresh ricotta and season with salt and olive oil. Place a few patties on top, and dress with the peach and corn salad.