Zucchini, Zucchini and more zucchini. I found this recipe from Framed Cooks and I knew that I had to make this for Big John. He loves all things soup. This soup came out light and very refreshing. What is really nice about this recipe is that you do not have to peel the vegetables. All you have to do is put it all in the blender, turn it on, and in a few minutes you have a soup. I have to admit, I did add a couple of other ingredients to make it my own, especially the ricotta cream for the topping.
- 3 cups sliced zucchini (no need to cook or peel it)
- 3 cups sliced cucumber (also no need to peel it. Isn’t this great?)
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (sounds odd, but it added a nice taste to the soup)
- 1 teaspoon of Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ricotta Cream Ingredients
- 1 Cup of ricotta (Use fresh if you can get it)
- 1 egg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Nutmeg to taste
- Put all ingredients except salt and pepper into a blender. Puree until smooth, adding extra ice cubes if you like the soup a little thinner and colder.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with basil leaves, a little chopped scallion, a small spoonful of ricotta cream/or a drizzle of olive oil.
- For Ricotta Cream, combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve a dollop over the soup.