Before we know it, zucchini season will be here. I think this recipe is a great way to highlight zucchini. Enjoy!
- 4 cups shredded (from approximately 1 pound), unpeeled zucchini and/or summer squash (see notes)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Mozzarella
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound Circle B Ranch ground pork
- 1 (24-ounce) Marina’s Tomato Sauce
- Fresh basil for garnish, optional
- Place the zucchini in a strainer, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand for 20-30 minutes. Using a clean tea towel, squeeze out as much excess moisture as possible.
- Combine zucchini with the eggs, all of the Parmesan, and half of the two other cheeses. Press into a greased, 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° F for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Meanwhile, cook the onion and mushrooms in a large, oiled skillet over medium heat until the mushrooms have released their moisture and are nicely browned, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a plate.
- Next, brown the meat and drain, if necessary. (Sauteing the meat and veggies separately gives the mushrooms a chance to really brown.) When the meat is cooked, stir in the Tomato sauce, the cooked vegetables, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of the pepper mill. Simmer for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Spoon the meat mixture over the cooked zucchini mixture.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheeses, and bake 20 minutes longer or until heated throughout. Sprinkle with fresh basil, if using, and enjoy!
- The shredding blade of a food processor makes quick work of shredding the zucchini. A box grater works well, too. One pound of zucchini should be sufficient to yield four shredded cups. In a pinch, shredded potato may be used in combination. Simply add to the zucchini, salting and draining together.